Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Climbing Jams: Post 3 - Filing Keeps Me Climbing!

This is the third installment of a series of posts on Climbing Jams! The first post provided anecdotal proof of my success with Jamberry Nail Wraps. In the last Climbing Jams post, I've found that in addition to the nice Jamicure, I find that the Jams actually provide a number of additional benefits. Last time I discussed how the Jamberry nail wraps actually provide a bit of protection. Today I'll explain my little Jamicure and climbing secret! 
Super McShort Short!
We've all heard or seen someone with nails a bit too long and  there is that scraping sound on the plastic or rock holds. Ehhhh! So close to the sound of nails on the chalkboard. With my Jams I find that if I take 5 minutes or so after a climb (that night or the next day) to run a quick glass (smooth) file along the edge, this gets rid of any rough spots on my nails/Jams and keeps my nails short for my climbs. 
Jamberry Glass Nail Files - Keeps it Smooth :) 

This regular maintenance not only keeps my hands and nails in check from climbing, but also keeps my Jams looking GREAT for up to two weeks (even with multiple climbs)! People always ask how I can Rock my Jams for so long and this is my secret - I use a smooth file on my nails every couple of days -- usually after a climb or lifting session. 

You don't want your nails scraping and prohibiting you from grabbing that hand hold!

A neat little bonus I've found since I've started wearing Jams is that they actually help to prohibit over wearing down of my nails. When you do multi-day climbs, sometimes you get to the point where your nails wear down to the fleshy underneath; this will affect the ability to pull on fingerholds, pockets, slots, etc. as the fingers are just too tender. Then you have to cut back on what you are doing, and boo who wants to do that!? I find that since I've started wearing Jamberry nail wraps, I do keep 'em short, but the filing and checking, and the wraps themselves, help protect my nails from getting too worn out from climbing. Which is great because it just means I can get even more climbing in!

Next time I'll tell you a little more about my overall nail and hand care. But the regular smooth filing is def a huge benefit to my climbing and to my ability to Rock my Jams for so long. 


Until next time... Climb and Jam On!

No comments:

Post a Comment